Nechako Teachers’ Union
1. Teachers can generally expect to be funded for one or two days of mentorship in a given year. If more time is requested or required, then the applicant’s school will need to help with some of the training costs.
2. Whenever possible the mentorship partnership will be funded for one TOC, while the other teacher will get an honorarium. This is generally intended to compensate teachers for hours spent after school or on a weekend as the teacher being observed is being paid already.
3. Think about weekends and evenings too. We have a shortage of TOCs, and for teachers using an evening or weekend an honorarium can be paid. The honorarium is generally $50.00 for a half-day and $100.00 for a full day for each teacher. These type of mentorship activities are relatively inexpensive and are encouraged.
4. We need information regarding the plan of the pair engaging in mentorship. Therefore, please be sure to talk to each other and have a clear plan before you apply. Details should be sent to the Mentorship chair in an email. Both mentorship partners should confirm the planned mentorship with the Mentorship Chair prior to any approval (sometimes the planned activity is only known about by one of those to be involved!)
5. In addition to the email, please fill out a form so the treasurer has a paper trail and knows that you have been approved for a TOC. Without that faxed form we can't pay the TOC and can't proceed. The form is on nechakoteachersunion.com . Send it to the Mentorship Chair via fax or scanned email.
6. Give reasonable notice. Once the plan is in place, give the Mentorship Chair at least 3 full working days to approve the plan. Remember to book any TOC’s as well. A week or longer turnaround is ideal.